Many people dread dental cleanings. The metal scrapers that were used to perform deep cleanings can cut and irritate the gums, leaving the mouth sore and tender. Fortunately, your next dental cleaning doesn't have to be painful! Orange County cosmetic dentists Ty and Susan Caldwell offer ultrasonic dental cleanings for your comfort and oral health.
What Is an Ultrasonic Dental Cleaning?
An ultrasonic dental cleaning refers to the use of an ultrasonic cleaning tool in place of traditional metal scrapers. Ultrasonic dental tools, called sonic scalers or ultrasonic scalers, use high-frequency sound waves to create rapid vibrations. When applied to plaque and tartar build-up, the ultrasonic sound waves gently break away the plaque and tartar to leave the teeth clean and smooth. A stream of water is also applied with the ultrasonic vibrations to help rinse away debris. Ultrasonic tools are strong enough to break down and remove calculus, which are hard deposits on the teeth. Once most of the work is done with the ultrasonic scaler, hand tools are used for a final detailing and to remove anything the ultrasonic scaler may have missed.
The Benefits of Ultrasonic Cleanings
Ultrasonic cleanings have many benefits as a dental cleaning method. Ultrasonic cleanings are considered painless and treatments are completed quickly. Here are just a few reasons why our patients prefer dental cleanings with ultrasonic scalers.
- More Efficient: Ultrasonic scalers are more efficient at removing plaque, tartar, and calculus than traditional metal scrapers.
- Increased Comfort: The poking and prodding of metal scrapers can irritate the gums and cause the mouth to be tender after a dental cleaning. Ultrasonic scrapers are far gentler, using high-frequency sound waves and water to remove debris from the teeth.
- Kills Bacteria: Ultrasonic scalers actually destroy bacteria by breaking down bacterial membranes. Killing bacteria, the number one cause of dental decay and gum disease, means healthier teeth and better oral health.
- Less Risk of Infection: Because ultrasonic scalers destroy bacteria, ultrasonic cleanings result in cleaner teeth. Ultrasonic scrapers don't cut and irritate the gums like metal scrapers are prone to do. Open cuts within the mouth leave your gums at risk for infection from bacteria.
- Improved Oral Health: Regular ultrasonic cleanings lead to improved overall oral health. Patients who have regular dental cleanings generally have healthier teeth and gums.
Seek Treatment Today
Your oral health begins with clean teeth and gums. Ultrasonic cleanings are just one part of maintaining proper oral health. In between your regular dental cleanings, be sure to brush your teeth for at least two full minutes, two times a day. Floss at least once a day. Rinsing with an antiseptic mouth wash can also help reduce plaque and keep your teeth healthy. We welcome you to schedule a consultation with Drs. Ty and Susan Caldwell today to discuss your treatment plan. We offer many treatments sure to meet your specific needs. For our patients in Orange County, porcelain veneers, dental implants, and dental bonding are wonderful treatments to improve both dental appearance and function.